Sunday 5 May 2013

Research

Tinus de Jongh
Born 1885, Amsterdam

Self-taught, he began his career as a decorator in the Netherlands, and then pursued painting full-time. He achieved some note when the Stedelijk Museum in Amsterdam purchased one of his early pictures. He arrived in South Africa in 1921, the light and landscape of South Africa soon caused him to abandon his muted palette in favour of more saturated colours. His formulaic approach to painting Cape landscapes with gabled farmhouses created such a demand that he abandoned his considered brushwork in favour of a broader palette knife technique.
 
Although Tinus de Jongh's work is completely different to what I did with my work, his really captures the eye and I think that's what inspired me to make my work really powerful to look at. His work is very sharp, and that's exactly what I wanted my work to come across as.


No comments:

Post a Comment